You are here: Home Living in Denmark Permits, Visas & Red Tape Registration certificates (EU/EEA/Swiss citizens)
Registration certificates (EU/EEA/Swiss citizens)

Do I need a registration certificate?

As an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss national, you may stay in Denmark for up to three months without a residence permit. If you work while you are here, you can stay up to six months.

If you wish to stay longer, you will need either a registration certificate (for EU/EEA citizens) or a residence card (for Swiss nationals).

Why do I need this?
Unlike a residence permit issued under the Danish Aliens Act, registration certificates/cards are merely proof of your existing rights under EU rules on the free movement of people and services.

How to obtain a registration certificate

The residence permit or card may be obtained from the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) within three months upon your arrival in Denmark. It is important to book an appointment in advance. Bring your passport, two passport photos and your 'Letter of Admission'.

Note that it may take up to three weeks to process your application and issue your permit. You must obtain your residence permit in order to register with the Danish Civil Registration and be covered by Danish Health Insurance

Useful links

Styrelsen for International Rekruttering og Integration (SIRI) , website is in Danish.


Find Your Study Programme

Our higher education institutions offer more than 600 English taught study programme. There should be one to fit your academic aspirations.

Find Your Study Programme
Thinking Culture?