You are here: Home Living in Denmark Permits, Visas & Red Tape How do I get a Danish ID-number? (CPR)
How do I get a Danish ID-number? (CPR)

What is a CPR number?

The CPR number is unique to the person and is used in Denmark as an ID number.

The CPR number consists of ten digits. The first six digits are your date of birth (day, month and year) while the last four digits provide a unique identification number for all citizens in Denmark.

The final four numbers also indicate your gender, ending in even numbers for women and odd numbers for men. You can only obtain a CPR number after you arrive in Denmark.

If you study in Denmark but do not officially reside there, you can in most cases still be allocated a CPR number for taxation purposes.

If you change your address after being registered, you must report your move to your (new) municipality. Before leaving Denmark, you are required to report this to the municipality, where you are registered.

How to get a CPR number

To get your personal ID-number as an international student in Denmark, you will need to register with the Danish Civil Registration System to obtain your personal ID number (CPR) while studying in Denmark.

To get the CPR number on the basis of residence you must meet all the following criteria:

  • Your stay in Denmark must last more than three months (Persons emigrating from other Nordic countries, irrespective of their nationality, nationals of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, and their family members from third-countries, may stay in Denmark for up to six months before having to notify immigration authorities of their arrival)
  • You have acquired a residence or a fixed place of abode in Denmark
  • You are legally entitled to stay in the country (in terms of documentation, this means a residence permit)
  • Notification of arrival must be made to the local municipality of residence within five days after the conditions mentioned in sections 2 and 3 are fulfilled.
  • Documentation including ID must be presented for the purpose of registering your personal data in the CPR system. The local municipality can require any person to report in person prior to registration.

Useful links

The Civil Registration System


Find Your Study Programme

Our higher education institutions offer more than 600 English taught study programme. There should be one to fit your academic aspirations.

Find Your Study Programme
Thinking Culture?