You are here: Home Living & Working Accommodation


Danish universities do not have a tradition for on-campus housing. Most students live in student halls of residences situated some distance from campus. An efficient public transport system also makes it easy to travel between your residence, campus and the city centre

Start looking months before you arrive


You should start to look for accommodation months before you arrive, as it can be very difficult to find accommodation right before the semester begins. Therefore, we strongly advise you to contact your Danish host institution for information about housing as soon as you have been accepted into a study programme.

Please be aware that it can be especially difficult to find accommodation in the bigger cities during August and September. We advise against travelling to Denmark at this time without reserving a room first.

Types of accommodation

Some international students prefer to rent a room or a sub-let from a Danish student or landlord. Student halls of residence is also an option. Others rent an apartment or a house, which they share with friends. Whether you choose to live in a student residence, apartment or house you will have to cater for yourself. Cleaning and doing your laundry are also your own responsibility. Look for the mentioned types of accommodation.

Student halls of residence (‘kollegier’)

Student residences offer accommodation in a communal environment. This kind of living may be particularly suitable for international students who have just arrived and don’t know anyone yet. Besides, the rent for a room is generally cheaper than that of a private room. Find a students halls of residence in Denmark.


Can I bring my dog? It is not easy to find housing that allows you to bring any kind of pet. Most student residences and apartments have regulations concerning domestic animals. However, you can explore the possibilities by asking your host institution for advice.

Can I bring my family? As a student it is possible to apply for a bigger student residence if you have a family. Alternatively, you could look for private housing that suits your needs. You should expect it to take a little longer to find, however, than just a single room.

I have allergies. Can I get a room without carpets? It is certainly possible to find housing that accommodates this type of special needs. You need to mention this when applying or ask your host institution for advice.

Alex from England is living in a students residence hall while studying in Denmark